The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) applies to companies of any size that accept credit card payments. If your company intends to accept card payment, store, process and transmit cardholder data, you need to maintain PCI compliance. Here are PCI compiant best practices.
Since most all payment hardware and software processes via Ethernet or online, the First thing you need is a secure network.
Here are a few things you should check off the list:
- Install and maintain a secure firewall configuration, especially for wireless networks. By creating your own firewall configuration, test procedures and network security policies, you will greatly assist in protecting your customer’s cardholder data. In addition, your hosting provider should have additional firewalls in place to protect and create a secure, private network.
- Never use vendor-supplied defaults for system passwords and other security parameters. By creating, maintaining and updating unique and secure system passwords you are enhancing your privacy and preventing unwelcome traffic.
- Never store cardholder data. This is the most common target for identity theft and by not storing the data is the best way to prevent a breech from occurring. Should you need the ability to reprocess card payments, use a PCI compliant provider, processor and gateway with tokenization options, to provide multiple layers of defense and data protection. This virtual security includes authorization, authentication and password protection
- Keep both your company and customer information protected at all times, using anti-virus software to protect again the most recently developed malware. If you data is being hosted on outsourced services, your managed server provider should be responsible for maintaining a safe environment, to also include audit logs.
- Assign a unique ID to each person who has computer access. Your employees who have access should follow best practices, including password encryption, authorization, authentication and the necessary updates every 90 days.
Dealer Pay offers seamless, integrated payment processing and advanced software solutions for the automotive industry. Our simple solutions make communicating fast and easy, ultimately improving the customer experience. Our solutions are used to serve customers at some of the largest dealerships and automotive groups in the Midwest, while still offering solutions to smaller franchises.
The way today’s consumers look at the customer experience has drastically changed over the last ten years. We, as consumers, expect a high-quality user experience across all platforms, regardless if we are buying a car or a belt from Nordstrom’s.
The challenge is, today’s consumers are bombarded with messages from multiple sources. In order to stand out and be taken serious, car dealers have to change the way they communicate with their customers. We all know retention is key and repeat/referral customers have the highest profit margins, right? So how do you get people to come back to you? Make it easy for your customers to do business with you, treat people right, and personalize each interaction. When you do this, the likelihood of customers returning to your dealership increases by more than 300%! Nobody has time for voicemails, long lines, and unhappy customers!
We are reliable, reputable, recommended and trusted with almost 20 years’ experience working with dealers. We are a skilled payments resource and an advocate of the automotive industry. Our mission is to provide, again with all of its glory, the perfect solution and business relationship, with the biggest goal in mind…to help you accept as many payments as possible. Call or email us today and we will provide a no-obligation cost/service analysis, 888-848-3812 / 636-442-4901 x 1 – email@example.com. Check out our Facebook page!
Let us prove it to you! Call 888-848-3812 or email firstname.lastname@example.org